Saturday 7 March 2015

Converted Razorback turret... just the turret


Well, this was hard.  I decided to make a personal transport for Lord Thunraz, my 7th captain.  All I had that was actually from the Razorback kit to work from was the lascannons.


Some of my followers will remember this picture-- A while ago I promised to make a Razorback turret out of these bitz.  I managed to incorporate most of them in.


... The first step, I guess.  I cut some pieces out of the buttresses from the Aquila strongpoint and shaved down a pair of-- of those things, what are they called, grapplewhips-- from the Furioso dreadnought.  I filled in behind the lascannons which I suppose was a bit silly but oh well.

I'm such a scrooge, I shaved the purity seal off before using the icon.  You wouldn't have been able to see it, at any rate...

Observe how I filled in around the mounts.


I wasn't sure how to fill in underneath-- I looked under my desk and found a discarded film canister with a broken lid, snapped in exactly the right place-- I didn't have to cut it.
Observe also the state of my desk...
 While I was making this, I suddenly had the idea of using it on a land raider-- but then that wouldn't work.  The Chapter only has one Land raider, and that's a Proteus, so scratch that idea.


Techmarine Hjuki drives and fires the APC from the turret, along with maintaining contact with every other APC in the battle , so I stuck him full of interface wires to emphasize his control.  I wanted gauntlets, but the only straight arm I could find was from a possessed kit, so that took a lot of cleaning up.  The other arm is from half of a pair from the Chaos tank gunner.

Confidence mistaken for remiss

I carved up a pauldron with a cogwheel trim, but it didn't fit and I had to leave it off.  Observe where I put the purity seal from the icon; also, the hand is from the master of marches kit.


I was quire pleased with this, even though all the work I did was glue the two bits together...  A combination of the Cog Mechanicum and the 7th company badge.  I'm not sure what to do with this now.



My first foray into magnetizing miniatures.  The magnets are so weak it's unbelievable; but they were sitting around and they fitted in the hole, so, yeah.


Aaaand I outdid myself on the lascannons.  I tried to make the the ends of the wings look more like eagle/gryphon heads.


 And that's that.  Note the cannons are blu-tacked at this point.  Upon completion I sat back to look at it and thought, Now I'll have to make a Razorback to do the turret justice...
But that'll come later.

D

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! So many cool details and story put into just the turret. I like having the techmarine exposed like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! There may be a void generator projecting a field around him, but given his zealous/overconfident nature, he probably leaves it switched of...

    ReplyDelete